Should you be getting insurance through Hippo?
With fantastic customer service reviews and a focus on claim prevention, Hippo is a winner in our books. And that’s before we mention that you can potentially save up to 25% on your home insurance premium with a policy through Hippo
Carriers through Hippo offers homeowners insurance coverage, coupled with technology & services, that is focused on helping you prevent claims & stay ahead of common home issues. Because the best protection is probably prevention.
Hippo’s Notable Features & Benefits:
- Hippo offers a simple online checkout process that can get your home covered in under 5 minutes, and you don't have to speak to agents (but you can if you have any questions!)
- Complementary smart home kit for eligible customers that helps mitigate common home issues (and potentially get a discount for using it)
- Through Hippo, you get access to Hippo Home Care that gives you insights about your home’s health and one-to-one expert advice to help you keep small things from becoming big problems
- Excellent, responsive customer service according to Hippo’s reviews
- Rated 4.9/5 by over 10,000 customers
- Currently only offering homeowners coverage in 40 US States – But expanding!
Plans and Pricing
As far as pricing goes, Hippo says it has a smart quote calculator that takes a lot of factors into consideration including, but not limited to: where in the country you live, if you’re living in the property you own, if the property is rented out, if it's a house or condo. You can complete the 60-second quote wizard and secure your policy online.
It's well-worth contacting Hippo’s licensed agents to understand if you're eligible for any discounts when you enroll for a policy through Hippo.
Homeowner policies written through Hippo are underwritten by insurance carriers that are rated A- or better by AM Best.
Is Hippo worth it? We say YES, for all of the smart features, helpful discounts, and fantastic customer service (discussed in more detail below).
Hippo Customer Service
Hippo’s customers rave about the customer service in their reviews and rate Hippo 4.9/5 stars. It has also recently started rolling out online claims support, which could be extremely helpful should you ever come to need it. This service has been widely available across the US since the end of 2022.
You can get in touch via email and phone (7 days a week), and if you are a customer, there is a live chat function available via the Resources Center.
We also really liked the in-depth FAQ section, which had a lot of the answers we were looking for.
For anything you need otherwise, you can simply ask customer support through one of the convenient ways mentioned above.
Coverage limits depend on the specific coverages and limits you choose with carriers through Hippo.
Hippo also offers an easy online ability to customize your quote, adding or removing additional coverages and limits, where applicable.
You may find some exclusions in your policy. For this reason, it's incredibly important to review your entire policy, including the declaration page. Luckily, a declaration page for a policy through Hippo is easy to read and understand.
For example, with landlord's insurance, you will not be covered if you are a landlord living in the home that is to be insured alongside the tenancy, or for maintenance on in-home appliances.
Types of Coverage
- Dwelling – repair and rebuild your home's structure
- Other structures – repair and rebuild damage to unattached structures (e.g. sheds or fences)
- Personal property – repair or replace personal belongings
- Loss of use – helps pay for reasonable living expenses if you cannot stay in your home after a covered loss
- Medical payments – covering injuries to visitors in your home (regardless of fault)
- Computers – coverage for personal computers or storage devices
These are standard coverage options that carriers through Hippo provide.
Depending on where you live and which home insurance package you choose, carriers through Hippo may also offer additional coverage options, including:
- Service line coverage (for protecting your gas, electric and sewer connections between your home and the street)
- Equipment breakdown
- And other coverage options.
Hippo Insurance Services: the Bottom Line
Hippo is an exciting, tech driven company, with fantastic customer service reviews that is modernizing what consumers should expect from their home insurance. Customers seem to rave about it, and they provide convenient ways to get in touch with them: phone, chat or email.
Plus, Hippo’s measures may even save you money by preventing small problems from becoming big issue.