Which forms do employees fill out before I run my first payroll?

Asked 2 years ago

I run a small business, and I am planning on bringing in a few people aboard as my business is doing well, and I now need a workforce to keep it running smoothly. I am establishing my business payroll process, and I know good payroll management is key to ensuring employees are paid accurately and on time. However, I’m unsure which documents they need to fill out before payroll at the end of the pay period.

Aydin Stephenson

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

When hiring employees, you'll need to collect Forms I-9 and W-4. The I-9 verifies that the individual is eligible to work in the United States. A W-4 indicates the federal income tax you should withhold and remit for the employee.

If you're hiring contractors, you'll need to collect Form W-9, which you'll use to issue a 1099 at the end of the year.

Write an answer...


Please follow our  Community Guidelines

Can't find what you're looking for?

The listings featured on this site are from companies from which this site receives compensation. This influences where, how and in what order such listings appear on this site. Our website contains links to product that might contain affiliate links which may reward a commission when you purchased via our links. Our goal is to compare and review the products and services we write about in the best way to help our users. We might not review and feature every product/service in the market.Our service is free of charge. We might make affiliate commissions when you make a purchase via our links. This may influence if and the order of services and/or products that we review.

TrustedBrandReviews and its affiliates do not provide private investigator services or consumer reports, and are not consumer reporting agencies per the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). You may not use our site or services or the information provided to make decisions about employment, admission, consumer credit, insurance, tenant screening or any other purpose that would require FCRA compliance.